John D. Rockefeller once said, "The ability to deal with people is as purchasable a commodity as sugar or coffee, and it is worth more than any other commodity under the sun." Social skill is indeed the most important possession one can have. Some are born with it and their experiences further enrich them. For others, all is not lost, this, like most other things, can be bought.
A person who can understand, win over and influence others is an asset. They are able to convey expectations, motivate those around and propogate beliefs to achieve appropriate results. So much so job interviews are riddled with questions and tests to judge interpersonal skill. We also see companies investing money in coaching their employees on the same. From learning how to hold converstions and controlling body language to effective listening, there are many courses that are offered even to individuals for a variety of age groups and job profiles. Just running a search on the Internet would show how many avenues are open for those who want to learn said skill.
People skills, again are not only for those who want to advance their career. This helps in every aspect of life, be it in an organization, sports arena or just at home. I remember being head girl in school, not in a way that makes me proud. Resented by my peers because I had just joined, I kept to myself and lost out on friends. I did not do as well on my studies as I could have due to the fact that I did not share my responsibilities. Sometimes I look back and have regrets about not trying to resolve issues and building a relationship with my classmates at the time.
Being able to deal with people and to build interpersonal relationships is truly worth more than anything. It can help you secure things that can and cannot be purchased. Things you can buy as basic as sugar or coffee and things you cannot such as friends, respect and loyalty. And like every other skill, this too can be perfected by practice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
spoken like a true Libran ... :)
ReplyDelete